Wednesday, August 10, 2016

NMMU Xhosa Experience

Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University Choir


What a treat today, listening to the NMMU Choir!  They are a wonderfully talented group of young adults that put their hearts into singing.  I chose to share one of my favorites, a Xhosa song that uses all the different clicks in the song.   First of all, my CFIES colleagues and I can make a connection because we have experience learning these clicking sounds in our language lessons with Ron...also at NMMU.  In the first video, the student explains how to do them...and yes, not everyone can!!!   Second of all, the audience had such a fun reaction, I thought I was in the Rocky Horror Picture Show with all the hooting and participation coming from all around us.  Please take the time to listen to this song.  In fact, I may even put another song on so you can hear just how good this group is.  The second song is a Northern African song about the rain, lighting and thunder.  Enjoy!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment