Sunday, August 28, 2016

My African Big Five


Most people are familiar with the Big Five African Animals.  Well I have my own African Big Five. These people have left a big impression on me during this African Adventure.  I have been home for almost two weeks and this blog has been on my mind.
Thandile Gladile
I have already spoken about Thandile in an earlier blog.  I have promised myself to make a difference and help her raise money for walking sticks for the blind.  She has touched my heart and I plan on leading my church Pioneer Club on a service project to raise money and send it to her cause.

                 Vernon Naidoo is the second of my big five.  I did not give him credit in my earlier blog "Show of Hands" because I did not understand the intricate part he played in Volkswagen For Good "The Great Show of Hands".  Later, I noticed him at a second location we visited: Kama Elementary School.  During our tour of the school, he showed up 

Vernon Naidoo (not the best picture)
in the computer lab of this school. He made it possible for this school to have this computer lab.  Vernon was talking to a group of us and he explained why he puts so much into this community; Lovelife Center,  Htlemeza Primary School in Uitenhage, and now Kama.  These learners are the children of his current employees and that will one day be the workers in the Volkswagen plant in Port Elizabeth.  He has a genuine interest in these learners' education to help them become future citizens  for the community and beyond.   His work makes a difference today and is building the future.

                  The next person that made my big five is Lloyd Edwards.  He is the person that runs Raggy Charters out of Algoa Bay, Port Elizabeth, which was our whale watching adventure.   During this cruise, we 
Lloyd Ewards, his wife and our tour guide.
did not see whales, but so much more.  Before we went out in the boat, Lloyd spoke to us.  First it was about the election..surprise suprise.   Now you must remember, we were there during the election time.  I didn't blog on this topic...even though I had a rough draft ..never published commentary.  But what really resonated with me was that he said the outcome of the election was not something he expected to see in his life time.  Yes, changes needed to be made and the voters made it happen.  The next thing that I was in total awe about is the fact he made this a learning adventure...not just a whale watching expedition.   He told us about St. Croix and how the African Penguins were not able to sustain their colony because of the fishing boats in the area.  He gave credit to his wife for making a difference now and how they are making a come back.  Finally, he said  for the fuel it is going to take for us to go out and for the foot steps I have made on South Africa, he challenged each one of us to plant five trees, to make a difference for our being.  I accept that challenge.  I will plant five trees or shrubs.

This is Julian, our taxi driver.  He is the fourth of my big five.  He was with us for the entire trip expect for the first two days.  Wow!  I learned a lot just riding in his vehicle each day.   First of all, there is a special  language that all South African taxi drivers speak, and I am talking about their taxi horn.  In America, one blows their 
Julian
horn when one is mad or not approving of how another person is driving.  Not in South Africa.  You blow your horn for positive gestures. (occasionally it was a watch your driving sort of honk).    He was a very safe driver.  Everyday, he got us to our destinations whether it was Emafini or NMMU or even that fantastic farm market he introduced to us on the way to Grahamstown!  When we had questions about the different culture, he would kindly explain.  He even introduced us to the delicious "fat cakes".   Julian would also drive us to locations on the weekends.  If a large group of us wanted to go somewhere, not on the original itinerary, he volunteered to drive us.  (We did pay him for those trips).  He located the monkeys on the campus of NMMU and drove us to see them.  He researched places we asked about and shared information about them.  Thank you Julian for your gracious service and making our Port Elizabeth visit  a wonderful experience.
Donyell Roseboro dancing at Lovelife Center
And finally, but non the least, my last African Big Five is Donyell Roseboro.  She is not from South Africa at all, she is a professor at UNCW and the master mind of this wonderful experience.  She was the lead in our South African Culture, History, and Literacy Program  (SACHL Program) Fulbright-Hays Short Term Study Abroad Project for 2015-2016.  Without her vision and drive to make this happen, I would not have had the opportunity of a lifetime in this African adventure.   Donyell has demonstrated and shared her love for South Africa and Emifini.  I have one video from our last day at Emifini and  she quoted from her favorite American poet, Maya Angelou, "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."   Donyell, you have shared your love and experience of South Africa and Emafini with me and I will not forget how it has made me feel.  Thank you for all you have done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment