Saturday, September 17, 2016

Bringing Africa to the Classroom

Ms. LaPorta's 2nd Graders

Our elementary school, Carolina Forest International Elementary thrives on learning about cultures from different places.  Since I spent a month in South Africa and had Xhosa language lessons at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, I am sharing with my students.  This is the 1st introductory lessons on greeting people.  It is a "Hello; Hello;  How are you?  I am fine thank-you, and how are you?  I am fine also, thank-you" rehearsed conversation setting.  Listen how well these learners pick up the language.  I have an awesome student leader, Riley.
In this setting, I have two 5th grade students greeting each other.  Nice job girls.
Now you are probably wondering why are you doing this in "Music Class"?  I guess it is my passion to share my African experience with my students as well as the fact that it fits in with our music class routine.  I started with a movement activity, and this week I showed a video of Emafini's choir and their 8 step move.  I had CFIES learners trying to move along with them (not with a lot of success!  It's harder for our students than you think)   We got to discuss the different language of the song and tried it out ourselves.  Great mini lesson.  Stay tuned for next week's update!

No comments:

Post a Comment