Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Emafini Primary School

Make A Friend
My experience at Emafini Primary School has been wonderful.    I have worked with two teachers.  Nontutuzelo is a grade 7 Creative Arts teacher.  Ntuthu's (shorten name) curriculum includes music, art, dance, and drama.  She says she likes music the best.  On  my first day, I did not observe, Ntuthu had me teach.  Talk about off the cuff!   Okay, so I started with introductions and asked them to sing a song.  They sang their National Anthem.  Well, I thought it was only right for me to share my National Anthem.  Then we did a rhythm activity reviewing quarter notes and rests, eighth notes, and sixteenth notes.  Following that short activity, I taught them an Orff song I use with my students, Make A Friend.  We worked on solfege and then input the words.  Afterwards, we went outside to a common area and played the game that goes along with song.
             My second teacher I started to work with is Ms. Lucy.  We connected because she says she loves music too.  Ms. Lucy teaches grade 1.  I just started working in her class today.  Now in grade 1, students are mainly taught in Xhosa language.  However, Ms. Lucy integrates English words into her teachings.  Today we shared a song.  The learners all sang a Xhosa song about looking for a dog with short ears and long tail.  Can you guess what it is?  Yes, it is “Where Oh Where Can my Little Dog Be?”  I sang it to them in English.  Then they tried learning it in English too.  They are so sweet.  Later in the classroom, I got to read them a story about a Princess and the Crane.   Of course I read in English, but Ms. Lucy translated it to Xhosa.  Afterwards, the students drew pictures about the story.
 
Mrs. Khosi
Next, I was invited to hear the choir sing.  The choir includes 5th, 6th, and 7th graders.  They sang a number of songs.  And even though it is July, my favorite is Joy to the World, in Xhosa language.  Wow! Three part harmony and all.  I am amazed because the choir director, Mrs. Khosi only has one little keyboard that you blow into to help teach the learners their parts.  But wait.  You must listen.  Here are two of my favorite songs they sang for us that afternoon.  It was a wonderful performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment